Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Avoiding Negativity

Before I proceed with new material regarding book projects and music, I want to take a minute to clarify a stance I've developed over the past four years. The stance is this: that negativity in any shape or form does nothing to inspire, cultivate, and promote tasteful art and good feelings. When you turn on a TV around 8 or 9 o'clock every weeknight, it seems that there is some kind of program, or numerous movie ads, or made-for-TV movies, that glorify violence, dysfunction, and general discontent. I absolutely refuse to become involved with any such programs. I understand it is entertainment. But why is there a profuse amount of this type of stuff, and such a dearth of uplifting and fun shows? I guess these kinds of programs don't sell. I really wish that America would let go of its infatuation with violence and embrace the kindness and compassion.

So I've been living my life as free from negativity as possible, avoiding all media that exudes negativity. I am even in the process of removing music from my iPod that I once enjoyed, but now just can't listen to anymore because of negative and/or depressing lyrics. I feel somewhat silly divulging this stuff to you readers, but this is just what was in my heart to talk about tonight. I wanted to kind of let this be known. Positivity and light will be the impetus of my experiences in artistic creativity.

3 comments:

  1. When I think of an "uplifting show," something like maybe a live show of Ravi Shankar playing ragas with his sitar. I would love to see something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete, I love this! Awesome post. You're so right. I think what you put your attention to is what you attract to yourself. Put out positivity and it will come back to you.

    It's funny Elijah jokes about how I use to go to all the movies and now I won't that we're married but really once I was pregnant I really couldn't tolerate any violence or like you said negativity. I know what you mean about music too. There is a lot of music that I won't listen to now either. I want to expose Kai and Isaiah to beautiful masterpieces not trash.

    By the way, I own my domain and host through godaddy so I should be able to create a store, which is my future plan. I was thinking about how so many of our family members create quality crafts and we need a place to showcase and sell it. I would most definitely put Cori's crafts on there if she wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jen, thanks for the kind words. I wonder what our society would be like without all the negative energy we're constantly exposed to. People would be happier! Why can't this work?

    The craft/art online store is an excellent idea! I just viewed Seth's little store last night. I'm glad he and Jill are trying to expose their art to people. I want to buy something! Maybe have them make me a custom design. I'll tell Cori about your idea. She's always knitting, so I bet she'd be interested in this.

    ReplyDelete